Thanks to all readers - I just updated the look on my blog for a more fresh look. I will do try to write my own entries :) soon!

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Night 232: The Insult Remains With You

You do not need to be Buddhist to see the wisdom in this.

It is the thought for the day. Do not allow others to dictate your feelings, moods and thoughts. Once you realize you control these things you will find your days much less stressful.

One day, the Buddha was sitting upon some steps meditating when a group of boys came by and began insulting and taunting him, attempting to make him angry. After some time, one of the boys observed that the insults were having no affect upon the Buddha, who remained sitting quietly on the steps. The boy finally asked the Buddha how he could just sit there and not become enraged at the terrible treatment he was receiving. The Buddha answered the question with a question of his own, saying,

“If someone offers you a gift and you refuse to accept it, to whom does the gift belong?”

The boy thought for a moment and then replied, “Why, it continues to belong to the one offering the gift.”

The Buddha then told him, “Likewise, I am refusing to accept your insults, therefore they remain with you.”




1 comment:

  1. Bobin,

    I gotta say that I greatly enjoy reading your thoughts and stories you share. Keep blogging plzzzz. :)

    ReplyDelete