Thanks to all readers - I just updated the look on my blog for a more fresh look. I will do try to write my own entries :) soon!

Monday, March 9, 2009

That Dangerous Glee

That Dangerous Glee

We had both had to sacrifice two weeks of pocket money for the cherry bombs. It was our first investment together, and it would be our last.

We took turns throwing the little balls of gunpowder at passing cars. Hiding in the hedge row, we were hysterical little monsters, giggling maniacally every time our tiny bombs met a car wheel and induced a frightened face or honking horn from the bewildered drivers.

Soon, however, something more exciting caught my eye.

A swift dance of gray fur, a darting flash of blue black eyes.

I stretched out my hand. I could not help it, an instinct perhaps. I wanted the mouse to touch me.

But I was so astonished when Little One didn't run away. I had never touched such small, delicate creatures before. He was soft and lovely and had beady eyes and sharp claws that clung to th back of my hand like a friend in need. I couldn't understand why he didn't run away.

Sam hadn't noticed the mouse, but he had used up all the cherry bombs and was already looking for more mischief. He tugged at my sleeve, but I just wanted to stay with my newfound friend.

"Go prank call the Fowlers," I suggested, "I'll meet you at my house in a minute."

But he had already caught sight of my treasure. I tried to push him away, but even at seven, he was already stronger. After a futile struggle, he managed to grab the mouse from my hand as though it were a candy or a toy and not much more.

Sam's eyes were alight with that dangerous childhood glee that knows no bounds. He held the mouse tightly in between his two palms and slowly pressed them together.

I began to feel sick.

Suddenly, he let out a huge scream that made me jump right out of the hedge row and into the road. Sam's left hand was wet and ruby red and in the other hand held the friendly little mouse that was swinging by the tail.

I smiled.

Laughed.

Fell over in the road cackling, and his angry tears only made me happier.

Suddenly, I saw Sam's arm raised.

He wouldn't.

No.

No!

It came crashing down against a tree trunk, smashing the friendly mouse to pieces.

The air became heavy.

Everything was quiet.

We both looked at each other, both aware that something had happened.

That something had changed.

I didn't cry. I just looked at Sam. I knew it was time to go home, away from this monster.

Sam ran after me trying to get my attention but I wouldn't look at him again. I refused to. Behind me, he lay down in the road, promising not to move until I came back and made friends with him.

But I didn't care if he got run over today. I wouldn't. I would refuse to.

I just ran. Ran back through the woods. Ran home.

No comments:

Post a Comment